By Binti Sohn, Staff Writer
// Spring break can either seem like the slowest week of the year, or it can pass by in a second. Learning how to spend it right is essential to one being more memorable. So when you get bored of binging Netflix, here are 10 activities to do over spring break.
- Go have a picnic with your friends! Bring food, drinks, and have a good time. The Lamorinda area is filled with grassy and sunny spots perfect for an outdoor lunch with people you enjoy. Walnut Creek’s Civic Park and Heather Farm are examples of some of the many locations you can visit.
- Visit the Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. Golden Gate Park is always hosting events or activities, but notably has some of the best attractions in the bay. You can even visit the DeYoung Museum or the Conservatory of Flowers on April 2 for free admission.
- Or, try exploring the SF Sunset District. The sleepy district is nearby Ocean Beach and is filled with unique restaurants and cafes to explore. The area is relatively large so you can find a large variety of cuisines. Some of the best boba places I know come from Taraval and Irving St: Tpumps, Foam Tea House, TeaFM, and many more. If you’re hungry and feeling adventurous, be sure to visit this peacefully unique area.
- Go to a Barnes & Nobles. The calming feeling of sitting in a book store and reading your favorite novel is genuinely one of the best experiences. Grab a book, a sweet pastry, and read for hours.
- Check out a farmer’s market. Typically held weekly, these markets can be fun to explore for fresh groceries or trinkets. They can be found almost everywhere, but significantly larger markets include the San Franciscan Ferry Plaza Farmer’s Market and Oakland’s Temescal Farmer’s Market.
- Get active and sign up for a race. Whether it’s a mile, a 5k, a 10k, or a marathon, getting exercise is a great way to push yourself and improve. Some big races, coming up on April 7, include the Stern Grove 4 Mile Race, San Francisco Tough Cookie 5K/1K Fun Run, and the United Airlines Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon San Francisco.
- Have fun with friends and go to an arcade! The liveliness and exciting atmosphere of games and prizes are rejuvenating itself. Sun Valley Mall in Concord offers a small arcade along with bowling and karaoke. If you’re primarily looking for an arcade, Dave and Busters can be found in Daly City and Milpitas.
- Clean, clean, and clean. Whether you’re sorting out your wardrobe or getting rid of unnecessary papers, spring cleaning can help one feel more organized and put together. Besides, weren’t you always telling yourself you’d do it eventually?
- Reserve a day for cooking and/or meal preparation. If you’re tired of spending money or eating the same thing every day, spice it up (literally). Find a delicious recipe online or experiment on your own. And if you’re on a health cleanse, definitely prep enough food to last the week. You’ll thank yourself later.
- Start a project. Have something that was stuck in the back of your brain for a really long time? Act on it — you have a full week to improve and improvise that idea. Whether you want to create a blog, start a business, or make a breathtaking painting, this break is perfect as it lots time.
Above all, remember to take time to enjoy your break and relax before Acalanes’ fourth and final quarter of the year.