By Gabriella Gruber, Online Shadow Editor
// With Thanksgiving less than a week away, give thanks to your taste buds with Thanksgiving treats! In this installment of Gruber’s Grubs, Gabriella Gruber bakes pumpkin tarts. Enjoy!
The instructions are listed below.
Ingredients for tart crust:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 2-4 tbsp ice water
Ingredients for pumpkin filling:
- 29 oz. canned pumpkin
- 24 fl. oz. evaporated milk
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
Steps for the crust:
- Put the dry ingredients into a food processor and mix together.
- Add the butter and continue to mix until it is well combined.
- Continue to blend the mixture as you add the ice water. Based on the consistency of the mixture while blending, add somewhere between two and four tablespoons of water.
- Once the dough has started to come together in a ball shape, take it out of the food processor and place it on a flat surface. Make sure to cover the surface with flour before doing so, because otherwise the dough will stick.
- Roll the dough into a smooth ball and cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
Steps for the filling:
- In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, beat together the four eggs.
- Combine the pumpkin and dry ingredients into the eggs.
- Stir this mixture until it is smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Unwrap the dough and place it on a surface dusted with flour again.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin. Make sure to add flour onto the rolling pin as well.
- Continue to roll the dough until it is flat and thin.
- Grease tart tins with unsalted butter, and place one on top of the dough.
- Cut a circle in the dough around the tin. Leave a one inch ring around the outside of the tin.
- Place the circle inside the tin and tuck the edges into it, but be careful to not crush the dough.
- Repeat this process until there is not enough dough left, or you have reached your desired amount of tarts.
- Place the tarts on a baking sheet and pour the filling into the tarts.
- Put the tarts in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
- After baking, let the tarts cool.
- Before serving, add whipped cream to the top of the tarts.