By Gabi Gruber, Online Shadow Editor
// Kick off the new year by making some delicious strudels! Enjoy!
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry dough
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Cut up the apples into slices.
- In a large bowl, mix together the apples, sugar, butter, cornstarch, cinnamon, and water.
- Transfer this mixture to a saucepan and cook on medium heat for about seven minutes, siring continuously. Before removing it from the heat, make sure it has the consistency of a thick soup.
- Unwrap the puff pastry dough and place it on a greased cookie sheet.
- Fill the puff pastry with the apple mixture. Make sure to not overfill the pastry by leaving room for folding.
- Fold the edges of the puff pastry over the center. Cut slits into the pastry to allow it to release steam while it is baking.
- Bake the strudel at 375 degrees until golden brown.
- Serve the strudel warm with vanilla ice cream.